Wednesday 1 June 2011

LittleBigPlanet 2

I'm going to start this review with the ending, just because I can. LittleBigPlanet 2 is awesome. So mind-bendingly, unequivocally awesome.

One thing that is not awesome, through no fault of the game, is the absolutely dreadful state PlayStation Network has been in over the past month or so. While I understand that there have been many problems, a 13MB update should not take nearly 2 minutes to download on a 37Mb internet connection. Ever.

When the game loaded up it was nice to see the old pod from LittleBigPlanet 1 again, just how I had left it. Or should I say how a friend had left it, since the last time we played together. Many a flower had been stapled on my slick, black walls leaving it looking like a goth entry into the Chelsea flower show.

Surprisingly (or in hindsight, not), my sackboy also appeared wearing the exact costume I left him in while playing LBP1. However, I thought a painted black space suit made him look too much like a dwarf wearing a gimp suit so I decided to check out the customisation options again. Ah, the vast emptiness. Having not played any of the game yet, I was stuck with pretty much nothing.

And so, I hopped gleefully into the story. One of the nicest changes to the story mode is the use of fully voiced cutscenes. In the original game, we were stuck with reading all of the story which made the game trudge along a bit slowly. While those text boxes appear again in the actual levels, the bulk of the story is driven superbly through the pre and post level cutscenes.

The use of cuscenes also had the advantage of being able to use fully animated characters. Before, we had the stiff cardboard cutouts, mumbling to themselves while bobbing up and down. While adding nothing to gameplay, it really helps you to connect more with the characters.

When it comes to the look of LittleBigPlanet 2, it really is stunningly pretty. The slight graphical update since the original has meant the game has blossomed into something beautiful. Textures are sharp, models are smooth and the motion blur has been made significantly better. Other effects like fire, water and electricity are back with added features like fire propagation and electrical currents.

What I find incredible is the amount of detail that can be achieved on just three planes of a 2 dimensional game. Some moments packed in more action into that tiny space than the latest blockbuster 3D title.


Sackboy's lonely hearts ad proved fruitful

When it comes to user created content, LittleBigPlanet is the console king. The original spawned over 2 million custom levels, all of which are still playable in the sequel. Even my pathetic excuse for an attempt should still be there.

That does lead me to a personal problem with LittleBigPlanet, as well as all games with user generated content. I can see amazing ideas in my head, but when it comes to making them, my brain turns to putty. It's like the game is taunting me with the fantastic level editor and then giving me a lobotomy before I can make anything. I guess I'll have to play other people's level and deal with being green with envy.

Speaking of the level editor, so much has been improved or added to it that now, players can create whole games rather than single levels. It does sound like an advertising hook (and it was), but it's damn true. Just a small poke around the community reveals such creativity previously unseen on console. Anything is possible from high score minigames, to multi-level story-driven epics.

With the simple idea of a character made of cloth hopping around, Media Molecule are becoming giants in the gaming industry. LittleBigPlanet has become the series to beat if you want to make a successful contender to it's crown. What's more, it's fully deserved. If you want a game that will entertain, thrill, delight and capture your imagination, get LittleBigPlanet 2 right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment